Jazz Combos Studio Sessions
- For this year’s School of Jazz we are inviting Western Washington high school jazz combos into KPLU’s Seattle studios for monthly live Studio Sessions.
- Combos of up to 7 students will perform three songs on-air with their professional mentors with a short interview in between the songs.
- The Studio Sessions will be broadcast live on KPLU as well as video taped and put up on the web at KPLU.org
- You can see an example of last year’s jazz combo studio session at http://www.kplu.org/post/bellevue-high-school-jazz-combo-trombonist-david-marriott
- If you are interested, please submit auditions using the link below. Auditions may be either an audio file attached to an email, a link to a video online, or a link to a file sharing site like Dropbox.
- Songs should be 6 minutes or less and best represent the ability and presentation of the combo.
- Deadline for submitting auditions is November 24th.
or submit an audition and questions to email@example.com
Monthly Student DJ’s
- We are inviting band directors to nominate one student who they feel would be great at selecting music and presenting it on-air.
- The guest DJ segment would last for an hour with Abe Beeson during Evening Jazz and will air the first Thursday of the month from 8 to 9 p.m.
- If you are interested in nominating a student, please forward the name of the student, what instrument they play, and some info about him/her.
- Deadline for submissions is November 7th.
or submit a DJ consideration and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
To cap off this year’s “School of Jazz Week” the Bellevue High School Jazz Combo performed a live Studio Session in the KPLU Seattle studios. The combo was accompanied by mentor David Marriot and led by director Edd George. The combo includes:
- Trombone: David Marriott
- Trumpet: Alex Clark
- Alto Sax: Griffin Hale
- Tenor Sax: Winston Zhang
- Baritone Sax: Jungwoo Lee
- Bass: Jake Escobar
- Piano: Melvin Soestrisno
- Drums: Sean Mahoney
You can hear the full audio of the Studio Session above. Below the combo performs a version of the song Syeeda’s Song Flute.
The fifth and final student DJ during our “School of Jazz Week” on KPLU we welcomed in Matt White. Matt plays trombone for the Newport High School Jazz Band under the direction of Todd Mahaffey. During his guest DJ on Evening Jazz Matt shared his playlist with Abe Beeson which included greats such as Christian McBride, Count Basie, and many more. Matt talks about the influence that the mentor, Jenny Kellogg, had during the rehearsal and recording process, how he goes about finding new music he enjoys, and talks about his playlist during the hour show. Give it a listen down below!
Listen to Pure Imagination by the Newport High School Jazz Band featuring fellow trombonist Jenny Kellogg:
Listen to the full hour here:
- Who’s Making Love – Christian McBride – Out Here
- Precious Lord – Wycliffe Gordon
- Lush Life – Terell Stafford – This Side of Strayhorn
- Backtrack – Rebecca Ferguson – Heaven
- Moten Swing – Count Basie - Chairman of the Board
- Touchstone – Ariel Pocock – Touchstone
- Limehouse Blues – Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane – Quintet in Chicago
- Midnight Train to Georgia – Gladys Knight & The Pips – Imagination
- Birdland – Weather Report – Heavy Weather
- Back It Up – Caro Emerald – Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor
- Green Onions – Booker T & the MGs - Green Onions
For the fourth installment in the guest DJ series for this week’s “School of Jazz Week” KPLU welcomed in Zach Hill. Zach is an alto saxophone player in the Bothell High School Jazz Band under the direction of Phil Dean. Zach was able to guest DJ along with Abe Beeson during Thursday night’s Evening Jazz from 8:00 – 9:00pm. This year Bothell High School Jazz Band is featured in the School of Jazz: Volume 10 album with their rendition of Jelly Roll (The Boy In The Tree). During the hour Zach talks about his experience working with fellow alto saxophonist and mentor Mark Taylor, and his experience playing and listening to jazz music. Zach gives some background on the playlist that he chose as well as what it was like to work with different jazz musicians and even his experience with playing in his own jazz combo. Give it a listen below!
Listen to Bothell High School Jazz Band’s version of Jelly Roll (The Boy In The Tree) with solos by Mark Taylor (mentor), Zach Hill (alto) and Kanyon Powers (trumpet):
Listen to the full hour show with guest DJ Zach Hill here:
- A Walking Thing – Benny Carter – Jazz Giant
- So What – Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
- Kids are Pretty People – Thad Jones/Mel Lewis – Jazz Casual
- I Just Found Out About Love – Diane Schuur – Diane Schuur & The Count Basie Orchestra
- New Mambo – Bob Mintzer – Latin From Manhattan
- Hello Pops – Wycliffe Gordon – Hello Pops! A tribute to Louis Armstrong
- Altar Call – Wynton Marsalis – Live at the Village Vanguard
- I Got it Bad and That Ain’t Good – Johnny Hodges – Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and the Orchestra
- Happy Go Lucky Local – Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra – Live in Swing City: Swingin’ with Duke
KPLU was excited to welcome in Kaleb Decker for the third installment in our guest DJ series for this week’s “School of Jazz Week” where Kaleb got the opportunity to DJ along with Abe Beeson during Evening Jazz. Kaleb plays the trumpet in the Lynnwood High School Jazz Band. This year Lynnwood High School performed a rendition of Like Someone In Love by Jimmy Van Heusen for the School of Jazz: Volume 10 album. In this hour Kaleb talks about his work with the mentor, Steve Treseler, his time in the recording studio, and his different experiences with jazz music, some of his favorite jazz musicians that have influenced him and his playing, and much more. Give a a listen!
Listen to Kaleb Decker and the Lynnwood High School Jazz Band perform Someone In Love here:
Listen to the full hour show with guest DJ Kaleb Decker here:
- Thing of Gold – Snarky Puppy – GroundUp
- Freckle Face – Count Basie Orchestra – The Basie Big Band
- Fables of Faubus – Charles Mingus – Mingus Ah Um
- Strasbourg St. Denis – Roy Hargrove – Earfood
- Time for a Change – Stan Kenton – Kenton ’76
- Sophisticated Lady – Duke Ellington – Duke Ellington (live)
- Lingus – Snarky Puppy – We Like It Here
- Moanin – Charles Mingus – Blues & Roots