Seattle Jazz Ed’s Master Class Series presents a brass intensive with the Westerlies.
The Master Class is on January 3rd, 2015 from 1:00 – 4:00pm.
Technique building, performance etiquette and strengthening improvisation with The Westerlies: Riley Mulherkar (trumpet), Zubin Hensler (trumpet), Andy Clausen (trombone) and Willem de Koch (trombone).
The Westerlies are a New York based brass quartet dedicated to the cultivation of a new repertoire that exists in the ever-narrowing gap between American folk, jazz, classical and indie rock. They have performed at the Juilliard in Aiken Festival, Music in the Mountains in Colorado, the Vancouver Jazz Festival, the Seattle Art Museum and the Earshot Jazz Festival. All four members hail from Seattle and are graduates of either Garfield or Roosevelt High School. Listen to the review of their first album ‘Wish The Children Would Come on Home’ on NPR’s Fresh Air and read the album review in Jazz Times.
Listen to Eli’s full hour with Abe Beeson.
Eli Moffat is a junior and plays drums in the jazz band at North Thurston High School in Olympia.
- Come Fly With Me (Frank Sinatra)
- Song For My Father (Horace Silver)
- Ceora (Lee Morgan)
- Blue Rondo A La Turk (Dave Brubeck)
- Sandu (Max Roach)
- Cherokee (Max Roach)
- I Remember Clifford (Benny Golson)
- Tall and Lanky (Jeff Coffin)
- Round Midnight (Ella Fitzgerald)
- Just Kiss Me (Harry Connick Jr.)
Jazz Combos Studio Sessions
- For this year’s School of Jazz we are inviting Western Washington high school jazz combos into KPLU’s Seattle studios for monthly live Studio Sessions.
- Combos of up to 7 students will perform three songs on-air with their professional mentors with a short interview in between the songs.
- The Studio Sessions will be broadcast live on KPLU as well as video taped and put up on the web at KPLU.org
- You can see an example of last year’s jazz combo studio session at http://www.kplu.org/post/bellevue-high-school-jazz-combo-trombonist-david-marriott
- If you are interested, please submit auditions using the link below. Auditions may be either an audio file attached to an email, a link to a video online, or a link to a file sharing site like Dropbox.
- Songs should be 6 minutes or less and best represent the ability and presentation of the combo.
- Deadline for submitting auditions is November 24th.
or submit an audition and questions to email@example.com
Monthly Student DJ’s
- We are inviting band directors to nominate one student who they feel would be great at selecting music and presenting it on-air.
- The guest DJ segment would last for an hour with Abe Beeson during Evening Jazz and will air the first Thursday of the month from 8 to 9 p.m.
- If you are interested in nominating a student, please forward the name of the student, what instrument they play, and some info about him/her.
- Deadline for submissions is November 7th.
or submit a DJ consideration and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
To cap off this year’s “School of Jazz Week” the Bellevue High School Jazz Combo performed a live Studio Session in the KPLU Seattle studios. The combo was accompanied by mentor David Marriot and led by director Edd George. The combo includes:
- Trombone: David Marriott
- Trumpet: Alex Clark
- Alto Sax: Griffin Hale
- Tenor Sax: Winston Zhang
- Baritone Sax: Jungwoo Lee
- Bass: Jake Escobar
- Piano: Melvin Soestrisno
- Drums: Sean Mahoney
You can hear the full audio of the Studio Session above. Below the combo performs a version of the song Syeeda’s Song Flute.
The fifth and final student DJ during our “School of Jazz Week” on KPLU we welcomed in Matt White. Matt plays trombone for the Newport High School Jazz Band under the direction of Todd Mahaffey. During his guest DJ on Evening Jazz Matt shared his playlist with Abe Beeson which included greats such as Christian McBride, Count Basie, and many more. Matt talks about the influence that the mentor, Jenny Kellogg, had during the rehearsal and recording process, how he goes about finding new music he enjoys, and talks about his playlist during the hour show. Give it a listen down below!
Listen to Pure Imagination by the Newport High School Jazz Band featuring fellow trombonist Jenny Kellogg:
Listen to the full hour here:
- Who’s Making Love – Christian McBride – Out Here
- Precious Lord – Wycliffe Gordon
- Lush Life – Terell Stafford – This Side of Strayhorn
- Backtrack – Rebecca Ferguson – Heaven
- Moten Swing – Count Basie - Chairman of the Board
- Touchstone – Ariel Pocock – Touchstone
- Limehouse Blues – Cannonball Adderley/John Coltrane – Quintet in Chicago
- Midnight Train to Georgia – Gladys Knight & The Pips – Imagination
- Birdland – Weather Report – Heavy Weather
- Back It Up – Caro Emerald – Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor
- Green Onions – Booker T & the MGs - Green Onions