The mission of the KPLU School of Jazz program is to support the next generation of jazz musicians by providing mentorship to schools in Western Washington and Southern British Columbia free of charge. The goal is to work with diverse schools and jazz programs: those with award-winning jazz bands, those who crave mentoring, and/or those who want the experience of recording a CD.
KPLU School of Jazz aims to strengthen local music education by pairing professional jazz musicians with high school jazz bands. The mentoring culminates in a professional recording session; the end product is a CD which schools sell as a fundraiser. The CD is also sold online at www.kplu.org. KPLU plays several songs on-air from each School of Jazz release.
KPLU features 12 high school jazz band programs on each year’s School of Jazz CD, which includes a mix of core bands and a handful of new bands. Each band can request to work with a specific local jazz artist as its mentor, or KPLU will help the band find a mentor.
KPLU is now accepting applications for 2012 / 2013 from schools that have not already participated in the School of Jazz program.
Baseline criteria for school participation:
- School is located in Western Washington or Southern British Columbia.
- Band is interested in mentorship and willing to work with its assigned professional mentor a minimum of three times.
- Band wants the experience of recording a CD.
- Can be big band or a smaller ensemble, and either vocal or instrumental.
- Band’s willingness to travel to recording session at its own expense.
- Band’s willingness to sell CD’s to raise funds for its school.
KPLU School of Jazz timeline for 2012 / 2013 (Volume 9):
- October 2012 – soliciting new schools to participate in the program
- November 2012 – final selection of schools and mentors
- Any time between December 2012 and February 2013 – on-site mentoring
- Early March 2013 – CD recording
- May 2013 – CD release
KPLU is currently accepting requests for participation in the 2012/2013 KPLU School of Jazz program. To apply, please e-mail Brenda Goldstein-Young, KPLU Promotions Director and School of Jazz project manager: email@example.com. Please include the following:
1) Your school’s name/address/phone number.
2) Your direct phone number and email.
3) A brief description of the size and experience of your group.
4) A short explanation as to why you want to participate.
5) One song limited to eight minutes or less (a link to a video or an mp3; you may also mail us a CD).
Deadline for receipt is October 31, 2012.